Dr Steve Chien, Senior Research Scientist at JPL Laboratory, gave this talk at the Computer Vision Festival 2021. Catch up on the presentations from this event using our OnDemand service.
In this article, I’m going to talk to you about some of the incredible work that's going on at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in artificial intelligence for space exploration and science. It might seem like a pretty overwhelming subject, so let’s break it down into a few key talking points.
Key talking points include:
- Computer vision and machine learning today
- Moving analysis to the edge
- Cloud detection
- Hyperspectral analysis
- Comparing different data
- Machine learning on Mars
- Autonomous targeting using computer vision
- Broad sweeps vs targeted sweeps
- Computer vision in search of ET life